Two bosses talking:— Why should I invest in employee learning? What if they then leave?— Well, think about what will happen if you DON’T teach them and they will stay!
Not for nothing Mark Twain said: «I’ve never let my school interfere with my education»
- Inability to concentrate?
- Strong desire to obtain as much information as possible supposing that it could be in any case adopted by our brain?
- Inability to divide up (chunk) and deeply understand that information?
- Attempt to memorize information from a single trial with multiple repeats instead of time-spaced repeats?
- Just looking at the simplest examples and not trying to solve it with the feeling that you already know how to solve. And not even trying to solve harder examples. «Man advancing by the challenges and hardships». But are we ready to face these challenges and hardships?
- To highlight the main ideas on every page of a book and think that these ideas go directly to our brain?
- The feel that all information that you need is always on hand and so we shouldn’t memorize it. There is Wikipedia, yes!
- During the pomodoro you should put on earphones and listen to «study music» or various noises.
- A good android application which allows to the set lenth of pomodoro, the break length, and also to «level» yourself with the quantity of succsessfully finished pomodoros
- When you are at home it is exciting to use your old LP player as a pomodoro timer. In any case every 20 minutes you need to turn over the disc. Or you will hear awful noises.
- If you wear glasses — take them off during the break — so that you don’t focus your attention on anything
- You should start with «frog»-type tasks. Ugly and jumping from you day by day. Though my wife advises to start with some easy and pleasurable task just to warm-up the mind. But of course it is an individual effect =) . In any case you should just monitor your condition and performance.
- For example to jump pn a Facebook constantly
- To start watching TV or youtube when we feel that we are tired
- To always take the easiest task
- To react on any input (mail, sms, notification) immediately
What I could advise doing next
- To install the Pomodoro application on your smartphone
- To make the self-observation journal and put into it your successes and fails in building your work and education process
- To find your bad habits in the areas of work, rest and learning
- To invent your motivation system
- To learn memorizing techniques such as ANKI cards (for example ankisrs.net)
I am sincerely grateful to my friend James Grave for his kind consent to the editing of the translation into English of my original post
Images courtsey: http://designinspiration.com/